Spring Break 2015 - South Africa
March 5 - 14
Spring Break is a nine-day study tour of the European community or other countries. Class meetings are conducted on Tuesday nights before the trip. Since it is offered for college credit, readings, papers, and journals are required. It is available for non-credit participants, too.
This programwas originally designed for Mississippi College students, faculty, staff , alumni and friends for a brief experience in significant countries in the UK and in Europe. Now, the program is expanding to other parts of the world.
The program was introduced in 1990 by Dr. Edward McMillan as tour director and has completed over fifteen very successful tours. Over 500 individuals have participated in the the trips beginning in 1990.
Join Professors Beth Stapleton, Susan Lassiter, and Rob Ward on the Explore South Africa tour during MC’s 2015 Spring Break. Departure is Thursday, March 5 with return on Saturday, March 14. This trip is open to all MC students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community friends. Participants may select courses for college credit or participate as a non-credit enrollee.
Classes are offered in conjunction with the trip at the graduate and undergraduate level. Please contact Dr. Stapleton (firstname.lastname@example.org) for specific class information. Enrollees may take no more than 4 hours. Those enrolled for credit must attend the class meeting at 6:00 pm each Tuesday from January 20 to February 24 and complete all other requirements as designated by the instructor. Scholarship applications are available on the MC Spring Break trip website www.mc.edu/academics/study-abroad/spring-break/ on a first come, first served basis and should be submitted to Dr. Stapleton (email@example.com). Students should check with the professors first and then register as usual for the Spring class. You must be enrolled in a Spring Break class to qualify for the scholarship.
Non-credit enrollees are not required to attend any of the classes, but are strongly encouraged to do so because of the general travel/tourist information discussed and the meaningful background information about the history, culture and literature of the area provided.
What are the dates of the MC 2015 Spring Break Trip?
- Thursday, March 5 – Saturday, March 15, 2015
Who may go on the trip?
- Mississippi College students, faculty, staff, alumni, family members, and friends
What is the price of the trip?
- The price is $4375.00 per person
- The deposit is $575.00 and is non-refundable and payable to Continuing Education at MC
- The payment schedule is listed on the online brochure and all other monies are paid directly to Contracting Agency (this information will be sent once deposit has been paid to MC)
- The registration form for the trip is on the brochure and should be submitted to Continuing Education
- The brochure is on the spring break webpage
Are scholarships available?
- Scholarships of $250 are available to participants who take the designated courses for the trip
- Scholarship applications are available on the spring break webpage or from Dr. Beth Stapleton
- Scholarships will be awarded on a first come first served basis
- The scholarship money goes directly toward the cost of the trip
What is the itinerary?
- The itinerary is listed on the brochure which is on the spring break webpage and around campus.
Where can I contact more information?
Some of you may be concerned with the latest news on Ebola. Rest assured… you are safe and will be safe going to South Africa. The continent is a huge place! Where we are going is several thousand miles away from the Ebola zone. You can’t catch this in the air, only through bodily fluid contact. Besides that, we will not be anywhere remotely near anyone with Ebola. It would be like someone in Alaska worrying about a sick person in Texas. It just won’t be possible to catch this.