Physics has been called the foundation of the sciences, for it seeks to observe, analyze, and categorize the interactions which occur in our entire physical universe. It is the goal of the Physics and Engineering Physics programs at Mississippi College to give students a thorough understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and to acquaint them with the scientific approach to knowledge. Studying physics trains a person to be a lifetime learner, a critical thinker, and an expert problem solver.
Be sure to check out our Careers page to see all the opportunities that are available to students graduating with a Physics or Engineering Physics degree from Mississippi College.
Our department a Bachelor of Science in Physics as well as a Physics minor.
Our faculty members hold advanced degrees in physics, electrical engineering, and engineering mechanics with research experiences that include:
- the study of thermal and radar signatures of terrain and man-made structures
- the dielectric properties of soils
- the amount of electric charge transferred by lightning flashes,
- the amount of energy released by lightning flashes
- the role of lightning currents in the global electric circuit
- Raman spectroscopy
- infrared spectroscopy
Learn more about the Physics faculty.