The Master of Health Services Administration is designed for the individual employed in the health care field who wishes to pursue a program of graduate study in middle-level health care administration.
Admission to the Program
- Must meet all general requirements for admission to the graduate school of Mississippi College.
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree in one of the Health Care Sciences from an accredited college or university, or hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field with a minimum of one year of experience in the health care field.
- GRE Requirement: A verbal score beginning in the range of 146-150 (equivalent to 400-450) and a quantitative score beginning in the range of 140-141 (equivalent to 400-450), or a score within these ranges on either section and an score of 2.5 on the writing assessment of the GRE General Examination, is required. The verbal and quantitative scores will not be combined. If these requirements are not attained after two attempts, applicant may contact the MHSA faculty advisor to determine whether he or she may qualify under an alternate equation that factors in the undergraduate GPA.
- Must show credit for Accounting Principles I as prerequisite for HSA 6507 - Healthcare Financial Management.
Requirements of the Program
1. Must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate work.
2. Required courses (24 semester hours):
- HSA 6504 - Research—Methods and Procedures (3 hrs)
- HSA 6507 - Healthcare Financial Management (3 hrs)
- HSA 6531 - Contemporary Issues in Healthcare (3 hrs)
- HSA 6540 - Organizational Behavior in Healthcare Administration (3 hrs)
- HSA 6550 - Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration (3 hrs)
- HSA 6555 - Health Services Administration Seminar (3 hrs)
- HSA 6561 - Healthcare Management (3 hrs)
- HSA 6571 - Healthcare Marketing (3 hrs)
3. Elective Courses (6 semester hours):
The student chooses two courses from the list below. In a special case, a student may, in consultation with the advisor, choose a graduate course not listed if that elective will suit the student’s background and particular needs better than those listed below.
- ACC 6501 - Accounting Issues in Business Decisions (3 hrs)
- AJU 5515 Seminar in Contemporary Terrorism (3 hrs)
- COM 5401 - Dynamics of Group Communication (3 hrs)
- COM 5402 - Listening (3 hrs)
- COM 5403 - Negotiation (3 hrs)
- COM 5443 - Public Relations (3 hrs)
- COM 5448 - International Communication (3 hrs)
- COM 5449 - Intercultural Communication (3 hrs)
- COM 6504 - Persuasion (3 hrs)
- ECO 6531 - Economics of the Firm (Microeconomics) (3 hrs)
- ENG 5452 - Professional Writing (3 hrs)
- HSA 6580 - Ethics in Healthcare Administration (3 hrs)
- GBU 6552 - Law and Ethics in the Business Environment (3 hrs)
- MGT 5474 - Human Resources Management (3 hrs)
- MIS 5426 Advanced Software Applications (3 hrs)
- MIS 5427 - Management Information Systems (3 hrs)
- MKT 5482 - Retailing and E-Commerce (3 hrs)
- PSY 6515 - Advanced Developmental Psychology (3 hrs)
- PSY 6506 - Multicultural Counseling (3 hrs) or
- COU 6506 - Multicultural Counseling (3 hrs)