MAKE A PLAN
What times are you available?
- Look at your current or future class schedule to find empty blocks of time in mornings or afternoons.
- Decide if you are willing to work on evenings and weekends.
What types of on campus jobs are you able to work?
- Some departments only hire students who qualify for the Federal Work Study program. Call Financial Aid at 601-925-3212 to find out if you are eligible for Federal Work Study. Don’t forget to ask how many hours you are able to work each week.
- Don’t qualify for Federal Work Study? Some departments can hire any student who is willing to work.
When do you want to start work?
- To inquire about openings for Fall semester, plan to visit offices at the end of Spring semester or over the summer.
- To inquire about openings for Spring semester, plan to visit offices in November or early December.
Ask the “locals” for information. They know this place well!
- Ask your friends. What jobs have other students held on campus? Check with professors, admissions counselors, or other staff persons on campus to find out about openings. Find out which offices hire only Federal Work Study students and which offices hire all students.
Check MC CareerLink for on campus jobs.
- MC Careerlink, an online job board for students, may have on campus work opportunities. Call 601-925-3901 or stop by Nelson 314C to get your username and password.
MAKE IT HAPPEN
- Make a list of at least 5 offices on campus that you will visit.
- Dress appropriately. Jeans are okay- however, no sagging or cutoffs. Avoid flip flops! Wear a plain T- shirt or collared shirt.
- Introduce yourself. Come up with a short introduction to create a lasting impression with each office you visit.
- Leave an up-to-date copy of your resume and current/future class schedule with each office so they can contact you if there is an opening.
Qualify for Federal Work Study?
- Visit offices who hire Federal Work Study students, following the guidelines given above.
- Contact Ms. Shari Barnes at the Community Service Center (601) email@example.com if you cannot find a job on campus. Ms. Barnes can connect you to an approved Community Service organization.
Faculty and Staff Only: Click here to advertise your student worker position.